Monday, January 31, 2005

God is Spirit: Nature and Attributes Part 3

I am explaining the Historical Christian view of the nature and attributes of God. I am currently doing a bible study at my church on the subject, and thought it would be interesting to put some of it on the blog, so here we go:

God is spirit. What we mean by the term spirit, is that God is immaterial or non-physical. God created the heavens and the earth, but he is not the heavens and the earth. God is not part of the heavens and earth, but transcends it or is beyond it. Throughout the five books of Moses, we are reminded that no one is to make any image or likeness of anything in the heavens, the earth, under the earth, or in the sea, and worship it and call it God. In the book of Deuteronomy 4:12-15. Moses reminds Israel that when they heard God's voice, they saw no form. In Deuteronomy 5 Moses lays down the law about making physical images and referring to them as God. In the Colossians 1:15 Paul say's Christ is the image of the invisible God.

When the New Testament referrs to Christ as the image of the invisible God in Colossians, Paul is not saying that God is a 5 foot 10, dark skin jew. He is referring to the words and deeds of Christ. In other words, all that Christ did and said reflected the exact nature of God because he was God. Hebrews chapter one describes Christ as the exact representation of the nature of God, and the effulgence (fullness) of his glory. In John 4:24(more on this verse in my next post) Jesus says to the samaritan woman, "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.” In Luke 24:36-39 Jesus say's to his disciples after his resurrection, "While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

I have shown how from Moses to Jesus, God is referred to as without form, and without a divine body. I will pursue this topic a little further in my next post. I don't want to try and say to much in one posting and bore you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home