Monday, August 20, 2007

The Word of Faith VS. The Word of God

I recently read an article in the CRI journal on the current gurus in the word of faith movement, and I could hardly believe the garbage being peddled by these apostles of the almighty dollar. The teaching is so self-centered, you would think Christ was crucified just so we could live in luxury.

The one New Testament story that kept coming to my mind was what happened after Jesus fed the five thousand:

"Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Jesus rebukes the crowd because they are following him for only one reason, free food! They see Jesus as their messianic meal ticket. After he rebukes them, the demand he preform a sign, and the sign they seem to want is the repeat of free bread and fish. Jesus goes on to challenge their sensibilities:

"I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. "

It seems to me that Jesus is provoking their shallow discipleship in a big way! It is like he is saying (mockingly) "so your hungry huh, try this on for size!" He refuses their request for a free meal, but offers himself, and the result was the loss of many followers. Jesus is not interested in being our meal ticket, and if its only food we are looking for, then he is not the savior we are looking for.

TOTT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home